Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:09:27 -0400
>  This suggests that a fog of ethanol will readily
> combust if it hits a flame or spark.  Again, be very careful if you try
> this!!!!

Absolutely agree. I did run a quick test using 91% isopropyl alcohol and a
common sprayer and got a very satisfying "woomph" when I sprayed it on a
burning paper. The entire spray cloud ignited. So isopropyl alcohol does
ignite under Randy's circumstances.No reason ethyl alcohol would not do the
same at that concentration.

I then tried 50% isopropyl and the vapor cloud did not ignite but recognize
that I was using a sprayer that was set to its finest setting and not a
fogger. When you add that much water it does complicate the issue. However,
it did burn on the paper and the ground by the paper so it could add to a
fire if flame were present.

My degree was in explosive chemistry and my kids loved the 4th of July and
my home made pyrotechnic show.

One thing that is interesting about explosives is they do not always follow
the rules, so the fogger may be just fine but some slight deviation could
lead to a major catastrophe for the user much less the hives.

HMX was the explosive I used in my thesis. It is noted for its stability
and safety but a block of it fell off a cart and detonated. It was later
discovered that at a certain angle, which was the angle of the slope the
cart was on, the sheer forces could cause detonation. That stopped some who
would hit it with a hammer to show how safe it was.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine