From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 07:23:34 -0600
> The grower sees that the weather conditions have been good and considers
> that the colony has done its work in the area in a shorter period of
> time than usual.
> Due to geographical and climatic conditions there is another area that
> has a slightly later flowering period, maybe 50km. away - but of the
> same crop.
> Is it acceptable for the grower to expect that because the initial site
> has been well pollinated that he (she) may then move that hive to the
> new area - seeing as under normal conditions the hive would be at the
> disposal of the grower for the first site and consider that it may do
> the second site's pollination and here is the crux of the question! -
> and claim that this may be done for the amount agreed for a pollination.

A beekeeper can make any kind of deal he or she wishes and then should try to
stick to it.

However, when we are pollinating, we made sure that our contract specified that
we are paid by the set.  That is for each move.  Our contract specified that
there was to be only one except in the case of an emergency, and in such a case
we would be well paid to move. We also specified the maximum time the bees could
be required to stay on a site.

Pollination is basically *piecework*.  We are being paid to accomplish a
specific job. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less.  There are
some risks that the beekeeper takes, and there are some that are the
responsibility of the grower.  A second field elsewhere is an entirely new job.

Moving is hard on bees.  Sitting in crowded sites is hard on bees.  Bees
generally go downhill on pollination and need to be moved out to good sites
ASAP.  An extra set may mean your bees die in the coming winter or that clusters
are small next spring.  It is for you to decide what your bees can take without
damage.  Every move and every extra day on pollination costs you, both in terms
of the stress on the bees and also on the opportunities missed elsewhere.

Generally we commit to pollinate the crop at one site, and as soon as the bloom
has diminished or the grower is happy with the set, the bees are free to go.
We're always watching and sometimes nagging for the grower to release our bees
at the earliest possible moment, so we can get them out of there.

allen