From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 23:20:31 -0500
​While in Houston, Randy's query for reviews of Weaver's bees prompted
Allen and I to call Danny Weaver to see if he was willing to have a few
guest.  Dan was very gracious and made plans to meet us at his home.

It was not the nicest day, cool, overcast, and spritzing rain.  No
umbrellas or rain gear required, but not a day I would choose to work bees
unless I had to.  With only a few hours advance notice Dan met us at his
house and we cracked a few hives.  With minimal smoke and no veils, we
examined 3 or 4 colonies.  The hives were small, set up last November, and
were brooding up (not something I see this time of year in upstate New
York).  The bees were very workable, not aggressive, and no one was stung.
The bees had obviously been flying, those knocked off a frame knew where to
fly home.

I am not sure what sort of temperament the colonies will grow into, but I
was left wanting to give Weaver's queens another try, I haven't used them
since mid-90s.  Conversation included references to "spicey" and
"Africanized" among all parties, no accusations, no denials; rather a
frustration that the rumors are far fiercer than the bees.  Dan stated he
has been totally treatment free for at least 15 years and is still able to
maintain his bees and run a substantial business.  I asked about
availability of his queens.  Dan told me he's sold out!

It was an enjoyable afternoon and I would have been happy to leave with a
few of Dan's queens.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!