From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:01:52 -0500
I just got the book. As I suspected, we are going to have a real field
day with this baby.

> As far as CCD-free regions go, there do appear to be some explanations. Some southern areas of the US are not reporting CCD, This might correlate with the spread of the Africanized bee, the so-called "killer bee," into honey bee populations in those places. African bees so far seem to be immune to colony collapse disorder, at least according to anecdotal reports in small-town newspapers.

Anecdotal reports in small-town newspapers? Is the level of expertise
we can expect from the book? Appears so. A look at the index finds no
Bromenshenks but Burt's Bees. Right away he refers to Hackenberg and
Dennis van Englesdorp. Hackenberg called upon Dennis for help early
on. Most of the book revolves around the pesticide connection as
promoted by Hackenberg and others.

Hackenberg says "I am convinced that neonicitinoids may play a role in
CCD."  By the way, I am convinced they MAY play a role, too.

They don't appear to be at all interested in Dennis's conclusions. By
the way, I know Dennis and have immense respect for his knowledge of
the situation.

> Dennis van Englesdorp, the acting Pennsylvania State Apiarist, a beekeeper, and a leading researcher, insists that insecticides cannot be tagged as the culprit. "We have NO evidence to think that theory is more right than ANY OTHER ..." page 109

Bayer is probably mentioned the most, followed by the author's
personal favorite "Plan Bee".