Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:57:06 GMT+0200
Hi All

As regards the questions about comb honey and the possibility that it
may concentrate contaminants and pollutants:

George, I dissagree with your strong views on the subject. Everything
can be viewed as a threat or not.

The fact that beeswax is 'untouched by human hands' has little
relevance. Most poisons are not either - they are made by machines we
employ, just like the bees to do jobs we cannot.

Wax is a largely non-water soluble mixture of compounds. As such it
is an excellent solvent for things with similar traits that may end
up in honey by accident. These would include DDT, fluvalinate, many
other organophos poisons and some really horrible environmental
contaminants.

It is up to us to recognize that these pose a threat and to look at
ways of reducing the threat - eg stimulating wax production
periodically with sugar so as to prevent pools of super wax from
stagnating. Channelling some wax out of the bee industry into other
uses, like candle making (eg wax from brood areas treat with
miticides) and using capping wax for foundation. Conducting random
tests on super wax and so on.

In the long run accepting the possibility that there may be a problem
is a good strategy. Fixing the problem before it becomes a disaster
is an excellent one.

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)