From:
Christopher Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:33:13 EST
Matthew asks whether it would be a good idea to join two Langstroths side by
side for brood rearing.  There appears to be a tendency for traditional
beekeepers nearer the equator to have their hives horizontally arranged and
for northerners to have vertical hives.  The presumption is that in cooler
areas heat is used more economically in a vertical stack.  The question is
whether the beekeepers were following the inclination of the bees or just
using local materials, eg living trees as opposed to earthenware jars on their
sides,  in the easiest way for the beekeeper.  I don't know the climate of CO
(Colorado?) where Matthew is keeping his bees but he is using Carniolan bees
from what I assume originally to have been a forested area with cold winters
where vertical hives were probably the rule.
In Germany where bees outside are kept in vertical stacks they often use bee
houses in which the bees are kept in drawers like a filing cabinet.
 I suspect the bees will manage to adapt to whatever type of box you keep them
in without it making a measureable difference.  If CO has hot summers and cold
winters  try them in a longstroth in the summer and an upstroth in the winter.
Let us know what you find.
Chris Slade