From:
Tim Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:38:35 -0600
From: Tim Tucker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Mon 2007.11.26 19:53
To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Honey as the New 'Silver' Dressing in Wound Care

Tim Eisele wrote:
"I'm not so sure that you should be quite so quick to blame the lesion
>on a spider bite, unless you actually see the spider biting you.

Hello Tim and All,
Not living in an area where brown recluse spiders or black widows are prevalent
you most likely have simply not been exposed to the bites of Lexoceles reclusa.
Having been in the exterminating business for 18 years in Kansas and Missouri which
are heavily infested with this spider I have seen dozens of bites and been bitten
at least 10 times over the years, one time twice in a period of several months.
When you spend much of your day snaking through crawl spaces you tend to get into
the hunting area of these "aggressive spiders". Most homes that are 15
year old or older have brown recluse spiders in their basements, crawl spaces and
attics.   They are known as hunters as they spin a very poor web and actually drop
onto their victims when possible and the opportunity presents itself. Many mistakenly
link the spiders reclusive nature and ability to go long periods without food with
a shy or non-aggressive nature which isn't the case when they have the need
to once again f!
 eed.
 The severity of the bite depends upon the amount of venom injected at the site
and can vary from spider to spider just as the sting of the honey bee can vary from
bee to bee as to their venom content.   It will also depend upon the persons response
to the venom as to how the bite develops and progresses, exactly the same with the
sting of the honey bee.
The most significant identifier is that initially, the bite will become swollen,
very hard to the touch and will feel warm to the touch. It may be the size of a
dime or in one case that I had on the back of the neck, the size of a softball.
Treatment is limited to just a matter of 24 to 36 hours, but each time I had a large
bite, there was pain and no doubt as to what it was.  Like many others, my doctor
wanted to just proscribe an antibiotic but I refused and insisted on a cortisone
shot in the site and in the hip. Antibiotics will not stop the progression of tissue
death but simply help you avoid serious infection once the bite starts to open up.
This had been recommended by one of my friends who had been in the business many
years.   Within 24 hours the swelling was gone and the ulcerous lesion never developed
and all tissue death that might have resulted was stopped.   Last summer I had a
small one on the leg and treated it with 1% Cortisone Cream and it also prevented!
  tissue death and I had only a small scab at the actual bite location.  While very
aware of the seriousness of cortisone, especially for some, it can be a useful treatment
and can for many prevent the destructive tissue damage that will result from a severe
bite.
These bites are not  to be fooled with when the reaction is large and while I agree
with you that many falsely blame infections and lesions of other cause to spider
bites, there are many of these that have caused serious lesions and resulting infections.
It's best to get sound professional advice when the suspicion is that you've
been bit by a brown spider and not make light of the situation.  While it is true
that 90% of all brown spider bites heal without problems and there's no proof
that anyone has died from a brown spider bite, there's the 5 - 10% that can
really produce some ugly reactions.  OSU fact sheet with a pretty good picture for
i.d. at following address:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html
There's a link in this report to an Amednew.com report where a Dr. Bush from
Loma Linda School of Medicine says he hasn't ever seen a brown spider bite and
I would simply say that he needs to serve at K.U. Med Center for a year or two.
But he is correct in saying that most doctors would most likely mis-diagnose a brown
spider bite.
Tim Tucker