From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 12:29:04 -0500
>  So, why the big drop in population?  The only explanation is some disease that whacks those imported lady bugs

Or it could be the normal "Fox and Hare" phenomenon. I don't know but boom and bust due to available food resource is a well established cycle. I too live in a remote area that experiences such lady bug booms. I don't know what species they are, native or import but the numbers can be as you describe. I welcome them since I believe that they survive solely on less desirable bugs such as aphids and scale in our orchards and garden. Some have told me they also feed on bark beetle, a very serious problem in these parts. I will say that a nap under the trees during a warm fall day can be rudely interrupted when the lady's find me as a stationary feast. :-)

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA