From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:24:48 -0700
…Plus, those who are nearby and do not
> treat are
> creating Varroa repositories.

Here is my POV on this.

Lets say for the purpose of discussion, the varroa in these non-treated colonies multiply.  And varroa on these bees drift into other nearby colonies before the colony collapses in the fall, winter or following year as might be expected with non-treated colonies.

Consider that you may be gaining more pros than the single con of getting a load of mites dumped on your colonies each September.

1.  These non treating beekeepers are eliminating non resistant bee strains.
2.  By allowing varroa population to dictate the colonies fate, these beekeepers are eliminating virulent mites and promoting non-virulent mites.
3.  Survivor colonies would tend to be the most resistant and acclimated strains for your area.
4.  The varroa repository is eliminated each autumn or second season, by death of the colony.

Perhaps, they are dealing out more rewards to neighboring beekeepers than punishment.

I would have more faith in
> their
> non-chemical beekeeping if it really resulted from Varroa
> tolerant
> bees. Instead they capture swarms in the spring as their
> bees died off
> that winter.

IMO, that is the first step, as small a step as it may be.
In the early feral recovery in my area, about 2003 or so, colonies that where capable of throwing a prime swarm tended to have elevated mite resistance.  Then the length of time colonies were surviving gradually increased from one season to several as resistance was developing.  At that time, I considered a colony that lived 3 years before succumbing to mites as a resistant colony.  There is a fallacy out there that if a colony succumbs to mites it is not resistant..  All that need be, is that the colony out live other colonies to reproduce, and the promotion of resistant stock has been served.  IMO, resistance is relevant to the characteristics found in the population.

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/