From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:30:15 EDT
CCD, as defined by the symptoms, 'disappears' in the summer.  It has  tended
to re-merge each fall, starting as early as August in some cases, but
becoming more evident by October/November.

We are beginning to get an escalating number of calls from beekeepers with
colony loss problems.  Now that we can better see what these bees do and do
not have in terms of pathogens, we hope to be able to get a better fix on things
 - not just assign them to CCD because they fit the CCD symptoms.

Finally, I've stated many times that we at UM believe that CCD symptoms
change with the seasons.  In mid-summer, the main symptom is that the  colonies
are unusually slow to grow, may be poor at storing honey, may even go  off feed
(which in some cases may be due to Nosema ceranae).

These colonies need to be monitored - they're much more likely to express
CCD in the fall or winter.

Jerry

deal here.