From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:47:09 -0500
On 1-Dec-09, at 10:29 PM, Bob Harrison wrote:

>> I keep no *dinks* this time of year but many will say not to hit a
>> small
> hive with OA as can cause winterkill. I do not know and simply
> passing on
> what northern beeks have told me.

I believe that 5ml  per seam will handle all hives.  50ml per hive
will cover most hives less for smaller  more for large doubles or
triples

> All OA is to me is a treatment to supplement my fall treatment. To Dr.
> Marion Ellis perhaps a method to control varroa by itself.

I use formic followed by oxalic in the fall only.  I do no varroa
treatments in the spring(except the odd hive with high mite counts)
when the bees are building up.  I consider oxalic applied in early
December, therefore, to be an early spring treatment

> I agree with Waldig that timing is very important. When a hive is
> broodless
> the number of dead varroa is impressive! I have never killed a hive or
> knocked the hive back with an OA treatment of a broodless hive.

I'm glad that you brought this up Bob, as I have always believed that
the reason for broodless was oxalic could not penetrate the cappings
thus many mites would be missed and efficacy would be reduced
significantly

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada