From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 12:28:34 -0700
I believe there has been discussion of the "banging pan" behavior on this
list in the past.  You will, I believe, find that the behavior is man's
alone.  In Medieval times (and others to, I suppose, when honey was an
essential part of diet and husbandry, hive owners would chase their
swarms.  They banged away as the ran to alert their neighbors that the
swarm was their property, that they claimed their property, and to stay
away.

Ultimately, the bees came to earth.  Surely as a result of all that
noisemaking.

On Sun, 7 May 2000, tomas mozer wrote:

> ...This isn't sound biology. In fact I can see both men going off thinking
> the other was the reason the swarm landed.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, fly tying benches        | leave our kids a decent place to live.