From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:09:25 -0400
Date sent:              Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:29:56 -0400
Send reply to:          Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From:                   Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Side-by-side splits
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> mostly eggs and open larvae.  This was to minimize the impact on brood
> cycles of both parts of the split.  The reasoning being that the
> established queen would resume laying - providing new eggs.  In the portion
> of the split recieving the new queen, mostly eggs and larvae were needed
> because it would be 2-5 days before she was released and started laying
> eggs.  In both cases, a break in the brood cycle of  a maximum few days.
>
>   Switching it around could cause a gap in the brood cycle of 10 days (
> 15,000 + bees) or more in the requeened portion of the hive

As I said in my previous post, there are two distinct ways of achieving the
same thing.
        If we want to start a discussion I would ask this question.
Instead of splitting sealed brood in one hive and open in the other, why not
equal the split and provide both with sealed and open brood? Possibly the new
queen aceptance would suffer?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, ON, Canada.
Phone- 705-326 7171.  Fax 705 325 3461.
North American agents. E.H.Thorne(UK)Ltd.
Ventilated Hives and Equipment
David Eyre... Owner
http:\\www.muskoka.net\~beeworks