From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:30:05 +1100
On 10/12/2017 12:23 AM, Peter Borst wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I think the day length hypothesis is pretty well nullified:
I think not.  After all it is common in many organisms, so why not
bees?  Much of the livestock we keep certainly responds to day length,
although like bees it may be modified to some extent by conditions etc..

The deciduous trees growing at my place respond to day length, although
possibly because I live in a narrow deep valley they are invariably
later than those outside the valley.

And then there is circadian rhythms.  I care for a blind squirrel glider
(Aus nocturnal marsupial).  Its activity cycle changes gradually,
something I gather humans devoid of light do as well as no doubt many
animals.

Geoff  Manning
Australia.