From:
Tim Dartt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 20:38:41 -0400
I've just started my first hive (In vermont!) and it's doing quite well!
A friend of mine found out that I had a hive now and gave me his old hives. All his bees had died off over the winter and the two supers and 2 shallows were still full of honey. I just opened them up and the first supers frames are covered with a white mold. There is a faint odor of fermentation and there still are a few bee corpses sticking in some of the cells. The comb is mostly dark brown to black.

I was wondering if I'd be dooming my bees to a horrid death if I used some of these frames (They are now at the point where I should be putting on a new super) or if I'm just paranoid, and should clean out the dead bees and use the comb?

(I have no experience with Bees and everything I know I've read in a book. Most books seem to indicate that I should soak the frames in boiling acid before even considering to use them? What's the practical advise?)