From:
"Jeffrey R. Hills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 16:50:05 -0400
> Standard beekeeping management practices for an operation of this size
were employed. Treatment regimes >throughout the year were as follows:

>(1) antimite treatment April 2009, just prior re-queening - amitraz;
>(2) antibacterial treatment May 2009 - oxytetracycline hydrochloride (OTC)
(TerramycinTM);
>(3) anti-fungal (Nosema sp.) treatment August 25, September 12, and October
13, 2009 - fumagillan;
>(4) antibacterial treatment late August, early September, 2009 - tylosin
tartrate;
>(5) anti-mite treatment September 12, 2009, after harvesting honey;
>(6) anti-mite treatment - early November and early December 2009 -
essential oils from lemon grass and spearmint >(Honey-B-HealthyTM).

TEN different treatments from April to November.   Also:
>Honey bees colonies were periodically supplemented with sugar syrup and
protein supplement. In April (1 gallon) >and October (2 gallons) bees were
fed 50% (weight/volume) sucrose; in November all colonies received 3 gallons
of >a 1:1 mixture of high fructose corn syrup-55 (HFCS-55, 55% fructose, 42%
glucose) and sucrose syrup. Additional >sugar syrup was given to colonies
based on colony weight (,80 lbs - 3 gallons, 80-90 lbs - 2 gallons., 90-100
lbs - >none).

This amounts to SIX gallons of HFCS and more sugar syrup if the colony
weighed less than 80 lbs.

>This operation experienced an average 18% colony loss from November 2009 to
February 2010. Colonies with >younger queens (#2 years old) experienced 11%
loss, whereas colonies with older queens experience 21% loss.

Add in the colony losses and this BEEKEEPER's cost  per hive must have been
at least $150!  Not my idea of standard practice!