From:
Ron Harriger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 23:33:40 -0500
There are two items that have not been mentioned for use as smoker fuel.
A friend of mine goes out in the woods and collects shelf fungus.  He
usually does this in the fall or early winter and then lets it cure for
a couple of months. He then cuts thin strips of it on his band saw and
uses it the following spring. He says it works great because it last for
a long time.
   The other is road apples.  I don't use them much anymore because they
are hard to find.  They have gone the way of other species of apples, you
know the old fashion kind, like sheep nose.  It may because of the pollution
along the highways from cars and trucks running at break- neck speeds. They
were a perfect fit too. Two or three on top of your starter and you were
set for some time and they were about the size of the burning chamber. Road
apples really had a lot going for them. Once dried they could be placed in
you pocket and stay in that familiar shape and are easy to grab when the
smoker is about to go out.  The aroma left on the gloves or hands (for you
bare handed folks) would last long after you have gone home for the day. I
could put them out to dry and no one would bother them because they knew how
important they were to keeping bees. They work best if dried over a long
period of time but if you are in a pinch put them on a tin roof when the sun
is bearing down and in a couple of days they would be about right. I don't
think you could do a finer job by using your wife's favorite dehydrator.
I have never tried to do this for fear of other than a perfect end results.
If you ever find road apples give them a try.

                                      Ron Harriger
                                      100 Rhoades St.
                                      Cambridge Springs Pa. 16403  U.S.A.