From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 08:10:02 -0400
I hate to do it, but I poison skunks when they get out of control. Make a small
hole in the dirt in front of the hive being worked by the skunks. Place a raw
egg, with the top chipped off, in the hole. Put some poison in the egg, and stir
it around. No more skunk problem. I use zink phosphide (rat poison) that I get
from the orchard. I've heard of using cyannide, but I think it too dangerous.
Don't be indescriminate with this procedure. Use it only when skunks get to be a
real problem. Don't use it in the neighborhood where dogs may be present. If the
egg isn't eaten in a night or two, remove and bury it. Light predation can often
be controlled by using chemical fertilizer on the ground in front of the hive.
They don't like the taste I guess. Mike