From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:52:29 +0100
From: "Tim Vaughan"  : "And when the wax moths or something wreck a frame of
natural wax, how hard is it to clean and rewax in comparison to plastic?"
Could not be simpler - I replace the foundation in 9 frames of each of 20
hives each year, best during Feb when not much else on but there is that
hopeful feeling that spring is coming  - just cut out the comb with a heavy
knife, slicing thru the wires, scrape a bit clean, then clean out the side
grooves (this is the only slow bit) by either: 1 putting in the solar
extractor, or 2. putting in your honey warming box , turned up a bit or 3.
putting in the dishwasher (get permission first , put both powder and soda
in, and clean the filter afterwards with a kettle of hot water) or 4. dip
the frames in a large electric water heater (5 gallon) or large flat dish
(fish kettle) on top of the stove with hot water and detergent / soda or 5.
put in the oven (permission again) or 6. (if u have patience) just scaping
out the grooves with a narrow screwdriver and your hive tool.   It just
depends what u have available.  Then remove the top wedge and fit a new
ready-wired beeswax sheet - beeswax foundation bends easily so u arch it and
fit the whole sheet at once rather than feed it in slowly from the bottom
end.   Foundation in shallow honey frames does not need to go in the
grooves - so just leave them uncleaned and trim back the sides of the
foundation.
We established earlier on that plastic-based combs get attacked by wax moth
just as much as wax-based combs.  I would be interested to know how
hobbyists clean plastic foundation.  I tried jetting steam from a kettle but
almost scalded myself and have left my trial set on the shelf ever since.
Robin Dartington