From:
Karen DeHond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:25:35 -0400
Hi,
We put the first honey supers on 5 hives this evening, I need to
assemble a few more frames and we can do the rest.   All the hives are
vigorous but 2 are not drawing much comb in the 2nd hive body, am
considering combining them if there is not significant improvement within
another week.  It is interesting that these 2 hives plus a third have more
bees 'on the doorstep' than the other hives, however there is brood and
eggs so it is not a lack of a queen.  At any rate, all appears to be going
well at the moment.

1)If I decide to combine hives do I need to destroy one queen, I've seen
discussion on 2 queen hives, sounds like fun to try.
2)Any thoughts on why my door sitters are less productive than the others.

3)One interesting observation I've made is that the only hive to survive
the winter is my calmest hive,  I LOVE them, they don't mind an occasional
disturbance at all.

Karen  DeHond
Upstate New York