From:
Dusty Rhodes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:03:27 -0500
At 10:15 AM 6/23/97 -0600, Allen Dick wrote:
>> What is driving the US price down is all the Chinese honey being funneled
>> through Canadian packers and sold in the US as Canadian Honey.
>
>I would like to see some proof of this.
>
>It is my understanding, there has been a little bit of such (illegal)
>activity, but that it is quite minor in relation to the whole market and
>in its effects on price.  Moreover such activity has been well
>investigated by the US commerce department.
It is my understanding that the US  govenment was paying a subsity on honey
a few years ago.
Honduran honey was selling for $.50 a pound.
I know of a local honey expert  phd. type that can identify the country of
origin by the pollen.
the test runs about $50... Texas A&M University..
He said that a number of people were trying to make money by selling
imported honey as US and it was their job to verify the  honey was produced
as claimed...
Dusty
Angel's Old Town HomeBrew
http://www.netropolis.net/dusty/homebrew.htm
Beauty is in the hands of the beerholder!