From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:54:14 -0500
On  6 Mar 97 at 22:55, W. C. Uhlman wrote: Larvae at entrance

> Need help.  I discovered several white, fully formed larvae at the hive
> entrance of a strong hive with lots of bees and hive otherwise medicated and
> appearing in good shape.  The temperature has been fairly cold--30 to 40
> degrees.  Do I have a problem?  Thanks for any advice.

I would suggest they are pulling out chilled brood. Or, sometimes they
will produce drones early, come a cold snap the bees think winters back,
and pull out drone larvae. It they're dead they are not a drain on stores.
Younger larvae not needed or chilled will be re-ingested, but there comes
a stage where the larvae are too old for re-ingestion, so, out they go.
Nothing to worry about!!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks