From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:37:00 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   [log in to unmask] [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, November 24, 2001 8:21 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Some anonymous remarks

Hello  George and All,
George wrote:
  Steve also started the work with Rothenbuhler on Hygienic bees way back in the 1950's, but had to stop because no one was interested in paying him for that research then.
Steve  and I had  a long  talk in Illinois three  weeks ago. Steve  still  talks bees   with Rothenbuhler.  I had  a great time listening to  Steve Tabor  talk privately to me about the great  researchers  of his  day. I had  only one burning question to ask of Steve  and  after  a long silence  he   enlightened me.  I  had  waited  over thirty years to  learn  what happened  in Baton Rouge  in the  early sixties.
George wrote:
I end this long note with a fond tribute to Bob, in that, although not a scientist, Bob is well informed and well read and obviously a fine beekeeper that all should would do well to follow.
Thanks for the kind  words George!  We are both  avid  students  of beekeeping.  Many mysteries surround beekeeping. Such as  why a medical doctor in the old west   would   quit medicine   for   a life   among  the bees (Dr. C.C. Miller). Why beekeepers    like A.I.Root and many others were  very  religious.
Bob, I am giving a 4 hour talk and workshop in January at the ABF Savannah meeting about "Improving Your Beekeeping Management Techniques", in spite of being disabled by 5 strokes.  I was told they didn't want my infirm body and bad voice, but just my brains.   If I find myself getting tarred and feathered, I will yell for your help.
Please  do!  I plan on going  to Savannah . I have   been  in your  talks before  and  we have met.  Many (including  Lloyd Spears)  did not remember meeting me. I have  found I learn  quite  a bit by listening  rather than  talking. I will introduce myself to you again in Savannah . To take a  line  from Allen Dick all BEE-L people going to Savannah should meet  so we  can  put  a  face  with the  person we   communicate  with on beekeeping topics on Bee-L..
I  also admire your beekeeping  skills George but what I admire most is  your  guts  to  stay involved  after  all the  troubles life has  dealt   you. My mentor in beekeeping  was older than you when I rode my bicycle over to his house  after  school to  learn beekeeping. Only  years  after his death did I realize  how  lucky I was   to  have  had  the benefit   of     talking to  a beekeeper   with   70+ years   of beekeeping knowledge. I returned  to  visit   the old beekeeper  through the years  and then one day  a letter  came   from my Mother   with a newspaper  clipping  about his passing.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
40+ years among the bees