From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2017 13:46:11 -0700

> > But in your colder climate, perhaps the colony consumes the honey
> immediately above the brood too quickly.

I guess that I was unclear on this--I fully understand the consequences of
a cluster eating its way to the lid.   What I was interested in was Peter's
observation that the bees created a gap of emptied drawn comb above the
brood, with honey remaining above, and then in chilly weather clustered
over the brood to keep it warm, resulting in the cluster winding up below
the honey above.

My question was about this temporary gap created between the brood and the
honey stores above.  I do not observe this happening in the Calif
foothills, as the cluster remains in contact with the honey above.

So again, can anyone else in a colder climate confirm that they've seen
this happen?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA