From:
Jerry Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:58:54 -0500
        I too have a hive that is strong and mean this year.  Last year (my
first year) they were really nice, didn't even need a veil.  Anyway, Last
Sunday I opened them up and found NO Brood, just as Sarah did with one of
her hives.  I check every frame and couldn't find a queen (does mean much,
half the time I can't find her anyway), but I  found honey and pollen all
over the place.
        I'm thinking it's queenless.  I was thinking that ordering a new
queen might take too long and I thought there still might be a queen in the
hive. Not wanting to add a queen to the hive just to fight another queen.  I
was thinking about taking a frame of brood from one of my other hives and
putting it into this hive.
I'm wondering if this is a good action, my thought is that if the hive is
queenless they should make a new queen, if there is a queen then the added
brood will become workers, But won't explain why the hive has no brood or
eggs.

Jerry Scott
Critterden Ranch
(Specializing in Arabian Horses, Beef Cattle)
Lipan, Texas.