From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:15:20 -0700
Aaron Morris wrote:

>.
>
>With such different results (literally day and night over-wintering, and
>apparantly day and night regarding this year's crop) I'd look at
>management techniques and not weather.

 Hi Aaron and All'
  The issue is more complex. It is not one or the other , it is both
working together.
 I have bees in 4 or 5 locations at one time. I may have more than one
your in a location.( ten square miles.)
Weather has a lot to do with production of nectar and if the bees can
fly. Some plants are temperature sensitive. They will not put out much
nectar until the temp gets up to 70 -85 F. Fireweed needs 80 -85 F to
flow. 70 F helps blackberry around here. Thistle has no problem with
temperature at all.
 I had one yard this year that went flat. I know the area well . It
comes on strong with all of the plants I mentioned earlier.
Weather had them eating up the maple and huckleberry I had on board ,
when I moved them in the spot. They started to get down on stores and I
fed them.  It took a gallon each to get them to the natural flow. Now ,
that was the only yard I had to feed. Those bees are min. 3 supers full
, with some 5 full at this time. I always keep an extra one or two for
them to work on if they need it.
 I moved bees monday night from 2,000 feet fireweed to 4, 000 ft.   Not
in the same area., 30 miles away  My high fireweed is just getting
started. I have a major load of early fireweed this year. Best in ten
years. I pulled all but two supers for the move. Needed room for the
bees. The hives were very heavy.  I took 18 on one trip and 20 on
another and just about could not make the climb up the mountain.  I'm
glad I move in the middle of the night. The duels in the back were
getting sort of flat, if you know what I mean. I little over weight. (
not a little )
 Why was this year so good for me?  Good weather , hot July. Watching my
bees very close. Working them all the time.
Each hive is different. See what they need. Move frames if needed.
Reverse box's.. Give them air if it gets hot.. All the above and much
more. The Russians love to lay all the way to the top. They have not
read the book about the honey barrier. Queen cells up in the 3rd super.
A lot of new things to see and learn.
There is no blanket answer. Many different parts to the puzzle. That's
why I Love beekeeping. We are all learning. Those with wisdom understand
how complex apis really is in nature.
 A little added. I don't use chemicals. Marla Spivak is right on about
chemicals. It has taken me 3 years to get to the level of bees that I
have now. Many queen changes.
Best Regards
Roy