From:
"Richard A. Haver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 12:46:34 EDT
--- You wrote:
 Planting forage for bees seems to be economically un-feasible.
 I'd use yellow sweet clover as it is also a terrific green manure/soil
conditioner, and it is relatively inexpensive.
Adam
--
=
--- end of quoted material ---

i limed the area before i planted. the soil surface was broken and clear
having just been worked over by the bulldozer. i probably did not use enough
lime, but the seeds germinated (i spread innoculum also). the first year
('92) the growth was unimpressive and there was not much bloom. last year
they both bloomed abundantly! this year the clover is hard to locate but the
trefoil is now coming into a good bloom. i don't know if the clover is
suffering from PH problems, poor soil fertility, or must be reseeded often (i
can't remember if alsike is an annual, perennial or biennial??)

i have not fertilized and except for the first year not spread any lime.
local advice is to lime, fertilize, plow, plant (at least every few years).
my attitude has been that i'm not supporting 5 tons of bovine biomass per
acre so i can get by with a smaller investment. the kicker is that except for
about ONE WEEK last june the honeybees have had better things to do! outside
of that one week last summer i could always find more bumble than honeybees
in the field. now as Adam says, this sort of endeavor appears economically
unfeasible and i've heard that before and i'm even more inclined now to
agree--i could never get my clearing, destumping, bulldozing costs back in
hive products. thats not why i did it, however. i AM blown away by how
assiduously the bees have ignored the forage.

i'd do it again in a minute, i have a beautiful field and lots of bumbling
bees on a sunny summer day. but i do think if anyone's gonna do this they
better be looking for something in addition to honey yield.

Rick Haver