From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 12:00:33 -0600
>We in the have the European Hornet, *Vespa crabro* L. here in this country
(USA). According to the Penn State site, it has been in this country since
1840.

We  see  these in Missouri and they are aggressive around nests in late
summer but strong hives are a hassle in my opinion so they seek easier prey.
Like mud dabbers the hornets go after spiders including recluse & black
widows.

 The hornets forage many times at night when spiders are waiting in webs. I
have seen dead hornets in spider webs.

I use 3/8 entrances on my pallets and find makes the large hornet wary to
try to enter. I would recommend reducing entrance height and size at
different times of the hornet season for my friends across the pond.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/european-hornet

<I have witnessed these hornets taking bees from my hives or waiting near
the entrance but they apparently do not mob the hive as the Asian Hornet,
vespa
velutina,  does.

I have seen the same but hornets are wary of  strong hives  unlike small
hive beetle the bees are quick to defend the hive from hornets. I see
hornets at time picking up recently dropped from the hive dead bees.

I have saw hornets hide under the pallets and fly out to get a slow moving
bee. Catch a dragonfly.

We have seen the warmest winter on record in my area so far so I would guess
many hornets have survived the winter. ( three years ago we had the second
coldest November & December recorded)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

 >What are the chances that the Asian Hornet will show up in the US???  and
when.........

hard to say. Learn all you can about the Asian hornet and forget about it
till you hear has been found. I would guess in New York with the winters
would take a few decades to be a problem.

In the south the Asian hornet could spread fast.

Destroying nests in Missouri  has been done with a double barrel shotgun
(from a safe distance) and proven
effective
.
Queens are *usually* only raised in late season like bumble bees for the
most part.
destroy the eggs and larva and kill the queen and the problem ends (except
for the unsuspecting souls which venture through the area for the next
couple
weeks).

bob