From:
Catherine Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:29:14 -0400
>bee do fine hanging in trees and completely enclosed in Africa in logs.
I do not see the TBH as the issue.
>I have never seen in my 40+ beekeeping years bees abscond due to
heat

Good to hear that from those with more experience.  Was afraid I'd
have to redesign. Screen bottom is designed to be close-able should I
need to vaporize.

Split with queen was from a 2nd year untreated control hive.  Mother
colony reared new queen and went through a brood break, shows no sign
of similar symptoms nor elevated mite drops.  The other hive was from
an outside swarm and I do not know whether or with what they were
treated last year.  Varroa may well have contributed. Starvation may
also be an issue, esp with smaller hive, but the swarm hive had enough
ragged comb to account for 4-5 deep frames of capped honey at the time
the colony left.  I will provide an update when I hear what the
inspector finds.