From:
Patrick O'Hearn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 09:07:26 -0600
Hello,
    The beekeepers in New Mexico were in limbo concerning sanitary
requirements until last year.  New Mexico's Food act had an exemption for
raw fruits and veggies.  If the state of Texas allows farmers markets, I
would bet that there is a similar exemption in your food act.  The New
Mexico Beekeepers Association, with the help of friendly legislators
ammended the act with the simple addition of a comma and the word honey
following "fruits and vegetables".  The ammendment makes it clear that
anyone selling pure honey (nothing added) is exempt from the food act and
its various requirements.
    I would add that the bill passed both houses of the legislature without
ANY no votes...of course, the NMBKA has, for years, participated in Ag. Day
at the legislature.  Once a year we, along with the other ag producers have
a reception for the legislators.  We give away several hundred bottles of
honey, and have an informational booth.  It is one of the favorite booths
there and goes a long way towards building good will and understanding of
beekeepers value and problems.
    Check your food laws for exemptions and try to tag honey along with
those exemptions.

take care,
Patrick M. O'Hearn
Bears Choice Honey
Bloomfield, New Mexico
President New Mexico Beekeepers Association