From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 21:27:53 +0100
Manley in his book 'Honey Farming' states that a solution of Thymol added to
the syrup prevents fermentation of any unsealed stores.

Having personally used a thymol solution for a few years now (except 1998 -
very little feeding necessary, but then very little harvested in my part of
the UK) it definitely prevents mould (my spelling this time) forming on the
inside of any syrup containers or feeders. I have made up syrup in the early
spring to feed a hungry colony and any remaining has been left in the
container, intending to use it for feeding a swarm. Maybe three months later
the syrup is as clear and the container as clean as the day it was first
used, and "No", it appears to have no ill-effects on the bees.

Thymol crystals, HAZARDOUS just like the majority of chemicals, will not
dissolve in water, a solution must be made up as follows: dissolve one ounce
of thymol crystals in five fluid ounces of surgical spirit. Shake the bottle
vigorously. Use a half fluid ounce of this solution to 112lbs sugar in seven
gallons of water.

Ken - A New Boy to BEE-L, rapidly learning how it is done the other side of
the Atlantic, thank you.