From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:18:27 -0400
I'm sure there are others here who are experiencing queen failures with
young queens. Whether it's fluvalinate or something else, the fact is
it's become a serious problem. The people who requeen their colonies
every year must be tearing their hair out. Personally, I can't see
requeening every colony, only to find half of the new queens to be
garbage. I used almost 500 queens this year, at quite an expense.
Initial costs and labor amount to a sizable chunk of hard earned
dollars. Doesn't seem to matter whose queens I use, I get the same
results.
    My question is this. Do those requeening with queen cells experience
similar problems? I'm considering raising my own cells, and using them
to requeen.
    Also, are there any major queen breeders listening to this? Are you
doing anything to correct the problem, or as I suspect, just cranking
out as many queens as you can?

Mike