Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:51:47 -0400
Bob said:

There are people high in beekeeping and research which do believe the?
neonicotinoid ban in France improved bee health.

?

I'm sure that there are.? There are also beekeepers 'high' in the French beekeeping Association who came to the U.S. to learn more about bee losses, who sought us out, and who say just the opposite - that the ban didn't do anything to improve bee health. They are now looking for a pathogenic or environmental cause.

?

Just as in the U.S., you have beekeepers and researchers who view the neonicotinics as the root of all evil :), and those who don't agree.? Just because someone voices their opinion on a documentary doesn't make it so.? We all have our own opinions, based on our own experiences, emotions, biases.? Most of us, even the scientists, find it hard to limit ourselves to just the hard data; stay completely objective.

?

Personally, any new pesticide is likely to have unexpected effects, and testing for sublethal effects has been poor to non-existent.? That said, I'm still on the fence on this one.? Used properly (e.g., seed treatment) these newer pesticides (which have been around since the mid-1990s)?may pose less risk to bees than the older, more toxic chemicals.

?

Used improperly (e.g., foliar spray from airplanes) and I'm convinced you will see a problem.

?

Overall, we need to do a better job testing.? Just don't have the data needed in many cases.

?

Jerry

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert