From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:12:48 -0700
Al's post taday reminded me about this: (that's why I relay *some*
carefully selected chatter on Best of Bee.  It makes one think
sometimes).

While I was at the AFB Convention, I ran into a large commercial
beekeeper from California and we caught up on things, since I hadn't
been to see him for ten years (exactly).

Of course he had a lot of interesting things to say, but here's one
for the list...

He says that when he is working bees that sometimes they get very
hostile, and attack some particular member of his crew.  What does he
do?

Well, he keeps a can of 'Deep Woods Off' in each truck and just
sprays the worker and the air around him with the stuff and the bees
leave him alone for a half hour or so.

Now I had often wondered about using bug repellants, but felt it
would be inhumane to spray bees with stuff that makes them want to
get away from themselves, but sometimes we get desperate.

So there you go...

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>