From:
Tom Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:57:01 +0100
Hello All

I spent the last week at Gormanston where we had a fantastic bee conference.
Last Sunday I made a 15 minute video of the treating of an eleven hive
apiary in County Wexford, in the south east of Ireland. This apiary is
heavily infested with varroa - drones walking around with mites on them,
bees with deformed wings everywhere, uncapping drone brood showing nearly
every cell infested. All in all a sorry sight as the beekeeper had not treated.

I will stay with the treating of this apiary using FGMO and who knows it may
recover. Only time will tell.

I gave a presentation on FGMO and showed the video to about 60 beekeepers
from different countries in the local pub here in Gormanston. The federation
of irish beekeeping associations would not allow me to show the video in the
college as they do not support non Bayvarol treatments. A most enjoyable
discussion was followed by a few pints of Guinness!

The interest in the video was tremendous and many beekeepers asked for a
copy of the FGMO Summary and indicated a willingness to pursue the matter
further. I can say quite definitely that there is a ground swell against the
chemicals here in Gormanston.

I am arranging to contact Irish and British beekeeping associations with a
view to presenting a lecture on FGMO and also showing this video.

Sincerely
Tom Barrett
Dublin
Ireland