Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:08:30 -0400
Bill Lord wrote:

One beekeeper wrote in to say he cages queens to force a brood brood
break.  Is anyone else experimenting with a summer brood break?  I wonder
if it would be worth while to go through and just de-queen everything in
the summer?  Thoughts?

A method I have not yet used myself, but know someone who does, is to confine the queen to one comb by a queen excluder barrier. Gradually that becomes the only comb in the hive with open brood and so (nearly!) all the Varroa mites make a mite-line for it. When the beekeeper judges the time right he releases the queen and destroys the mite-riddled comb.

Chris