From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 08:09:09 -0700
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Barry Donovan wrote:

> Jerry, is there any further information on the use of a shotgun
> microphone by Howard Kerr to locate wild bee colonies in wooded
> areas?  Is it a practical method of locating colonies?
> Thanks.

I will call Howard and ask.  He likes the electronic stuff.  He developed
a little gadget with a tube attached to a little wand.  The wand had
little neon lights.  His idea was that the wing beat frequency of
Africanzied Bees would be Different than than of European Bees due to
differences in body size.  In theory, each would have a signature wing
beat frequency.  So ----  you catch a bee, stick it in the gizmo, and
watch to see if you get a green, yellow, or red light.

The frequency/body size or shape part may hold up, but bee size is
affected by size of cells, nutrition, etc.

As per the shotgun microphone, I will ask Howard to send a message to the
list.

Jerry Bromenshenk