Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:03:25 -0400
Hello all,
Thanks for all the responses to my first note.  I found the Florida Organic Growers (FOG) standards for certification to be "nothing within two miles/three kilometers that could contaminate the honey. These can include towns, golf courses, garbage dumps or sanitary landfills and flowering agricultural crops which have been sprayed with prohibited substances".
Most of the land around my apiary is planted in grasses for pasture.  But going two miles without finding a watermelon field will be tough in most years.  An inspector is coming out to check my vegetables within the next few weeks.  I will ask him then about my bees.
If I get my bee's "certified" or not, I will try to run my hives chemical free.  Because beekeeping is a hobby I can afford to lose a few hives or harvest no honey.  I'm in a good position to experiment with alternative methods of control to some of the problems we face. Never know, I could stumble across a system that works AND is economically feasible.
I read about bees as much as possible.  If anyone finds articals, research papers etc. that they feel are interesting please let me know.  I always start a new project by reading what I can, then plowing into the "hands on" full force.
Thanks again.
Regards
ED Parker