From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:04:54 -0600
I am not at all sure what you are trying to say, but if you think that people in industry "know better" than scientists, scholars, or researchers, -- well that is just as false as saying this latter group "knows more" than the people in the field. Framing this discussion as "us vs. them" is completely unhelpful; what is needed is consensus building. Things are not simple, the real world is complex and the solutions to problems will be complicated.

Come on Pete,  don’t twist it around.   Not a battle.  Never was.  But there is a chasm between research and real life.  Research shows one little snapshot in time.  The key is applying it.  In this case I am referring to,  the research and real world agree.  TONS of research that shows antibiotics schedules used in feed additives help with heard health and weight gain.  A dang cite more research and real world data than the other side.  In this case the "precautionary" principle people are worried  about restiance,  so we need to ban something.  In that the real truth is that nothing changed on large scale operations. They already have vets on staff and ZERO effect on what they do,  but once again the little guys take the hit.

That is nothing at all to do with Industry vs Science.

This discussion is about new laws and their applications.  The research here is actually pretty clear.  No benefit from the new rules.   But that’s not what's going on.  Many one sided completely ignorant people are taking bits and pieces of research and trying to rule the world.  Without applying it to this one in particular,  its everywhere around us.  From no oil,  to no nuclear,  to the roundup debate, to supplements and minerals someone on every side of the discussion trying to use a snip of science to support their emotional claims.

Each side is picking and choosing one little point of information and trying to dominate the topic.  Simple example  was the pesticide test reported here last week.  One hive gets hit  and now we need to ban something to be sure that it never happens,  the reality that thousands of hives have been wiped out from the options doesn’t matter.

I used a beekeeping example,  because its something we all here can relate to, but its not just beekeeping  its everywhere around the simple concept is the basis of freedoms. We keep making rules under some guise to effect things,  from Prop 65 in CA to support trial lawyers,  to the concept of carbon taxes.  It’s a complicated world,  and tons if things and interactions that darn few think out all the way.  Heck  you should see the mess we are about to have in trucking with the new ELD rules.  Drivers hauling bees MUST stop at 11 hours, no exceptions.  Going to be interesting.

Charles