From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 08:18:12 -0500
Bob said;
Randy said:
> The study that you are referring to was only for a relatively small group
> of
> hives from the East Coast, so I'd hesitate to extend to all CCD collapses.

In my opinion the naming of CCD only confuses the issue. many researchers in
Canada & Europe I have spoken with feel the same way. Every dead hive is now
by many called CCD.

Moving on we have to go back *in my opinion* to the first study by Penn
State which was to explain the *new* ( old?) problem. Their conclusions
created an
uproar with the Science article. For those new to the issue Australia was
blamed 17 times as the source of IAPV in the U.S. ( later proved
incorrect) and said IAPV was a marker for identification of CCD which
puzzled many as IAPV was not found in all the samples..

If not for the many conclusions in the article which were a stretch in
hypothesis maybe we would not be discussing now the KBV & nosema ceranae
connection.

Canada had reported in all the bee magazines and the "Speedy Bee" that KBV
virus was found responsible for a huge die off in the Peace River district
of Canada.( their story and sticking to it!)

 At the time many wondered *if* beekeepers in the U.S. should be
concerned about a KBV problem. The U.S. researchers I spoke with said Canada
got it wrong and varroa killed those hives not KBV.( interesting as they
only *read* about the issue)

It is also interesting to note Canada has from the start said no CCD exists
in their country ( and privately CCD is simply old issues working in
combination).

Maybe I should move my operation to Canada and then not have to worry about
the dreaded CCD?

That said in most opinions the first cases had a huge amount of study and
the one fact which caught all beekeepers was the fact that KBV ( recently
blamed for a big die off in Canada) in combination with nosema ceranae (
being reported as the culprit for huge die offs around the world especially
in Spain) were found in 100% of the samples.

Why researchers simply passed over the fact has been discussed for several
years by commercial beekeepers. We have our hypothesis.

bob