From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:57:08 -0400
At 06:42 PM 8/10/2006, you wrote:
>This was a question my Entomology teach was asked, and then passed on to me, does anyone know anything I can tell him???
>> I have not been able to find out any information about the advisability of eating freshly killed honeybees. Do you know anything about the subject?

The online book "Value-Added Products from Beekeeping"  ( http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm ) has some information on the topic, including nutritional facts (protein, fat, vitamin content), advice how to prepare them and recipes. (See chapter 8: http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e19.htm )

The insect zoo (part of the National Museum of Natrual History, http://www.insectzoo.msstate.edu/) has this to say:
"Bees are consumed by Congolese, rural Thais, Laotians, and American Indians. Some German children in Lower Saxony also eat honey bees. These insects are commonly consumed as bee brood--a mix of bee larvae and pupae. When bee brood is baked, fried, or deep-fried, it becomes dry and flaky like a breakfast cereal. Deep-fried bees can taste nutty or caramelized, and they have been compared with sunflower seeds, shrimp, walnuts, Rice Krispies, or pork cracklings. Chocolate-covered bees and bees in syrup are considered a gourmet item in Mexico. These products are canned also for export. "

-Tim