From:
Robin Dartington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:13:03 +0100
> On 17 Jun 2014, at 17:07, Jerry Bromenshenk  wrote: > is there a one-stop place for the EU Honey Directive for US beekeepers who want to market honey in Europe?<

Why do US beekeepers want to export to EU when US is a net importer?

Is unnecessary free trade in the interests of bees?  Cannot we recognise that international trade has been responsible for spread of diseases?

At present the UK (still part of EU) has a very low incidence of AFB due to policy to burn.  AFB is at a much higher rate in US, due to using antibiotics to mask but not eliminate AFB.  Importing quantities of infected honey will raise the risks of AFB in UK from robbing of discarded jars. (Yes, the public should wash out jars before dumping but to ensure that, US beekeepers would need to attend in numbers to instruct the public against the new dangers their imports would cause).

Can we not learn from history?

Robin