From:
Diana Sammataro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 07:32:53 -0400
>      Acarine is a definite possible
>
>      Varroa is not yet here (as far as we know)
>

> The questions:  What sampling should we be doing? (if any)
>                 What rate of sampling should we use?
>                 When should we sample?
>                 What methods should be used to evaluate the samples?
>

> We bought a microscope, and it is very educational, but I can see that we
> are not going to do all our own lab work and keep 1500 hives at the same
> time.  Any advice for picking a sampling service?
>
> How thorough are they?  Do they mix samples up?  What should we be
> considering in making a decision?

Allen: I feel somewhat qualified to answer your question since my research is
on Tmites.  If you want to sample yourself, do so now, as the fall approaches.
Take a sampling of your yards, ie. collect around 100-200 bees in each yard,
drone and older foragers if possible, and dissect the tubes under the scope.
You can do this very quickly, just get a pair of jeweler's forcept and pull off
the head and look down into the thoracic tubes. IF the tubes are anything but
pearly white, ie. tan, black or with shadows, you have Tmites.  You probably do
anyway, since you tested positive last year.

Treat with TM patties (extender patties) or just veg shortening and sugar
patties.  I can send you my reprint of this work if you want.

Hope this helps.  Test for Varroa while you are at it.

Good luck

Diana Sammataro