From:
Edward D Heinlein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:13:17 -0700
Keith,
I found a great source for those bee swarm traps at a local nursery. I
told the owner what I was looking for, even showed him a pic from a
catalog. It took his 3 minutes to locate his supplier. They cost ME $3
each!!!! I had to fashion the lids myself, which I did with some 3/8
plywood and an inner "ring" of the blue foam insulation glued on with
silicone rubber glue. I also "sealed up" 3 of the 4 drain holes on the
bottom, although I don't know if that was really necessary.

It was late spring before I finished the traps and the only swarm I
caught was one that was located too high for me to reach, in a neighbor's
fir tree. I set up 3 swarm traps in trees about 20 feet away from the
swarm and once the sun warmed the swarm, they immediately took up
residence in one of the traps! I didn't realize it at the time, but it
was a very educational experience for the neighbors. Everyone wanted to
see what was going on. I gave a short explanation of swarms and swarming,
and my theory that since I couldn't reach the swarm, I'd make finding
that new home a cake walk for the bees. The on lookers were all skeptical
about the efficacy of swarm traps, but let me tell you, when the swarm
decided they found home, they sky filled, then lighted on the trap and
within an hour they were all inside. Sometimes things do go as planned,
the neighbors thought I was God or something! I loved the astonished look
on adults and kids alike. Many were terrified at first, you know what
with all the scare of "killer bees". After words, I had one dad and his
son over the next day to hive the swarm.

So check out your local nursery!

Ed Heinlein
Helena, MT