Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 13:30:30 -0400
>I have observed clustering sites migrate sideways over the course of the
>winter in a long hive to get to fresh honey stores

This is, I assume, a case where the cluster is right up against the lid?

If there is comb overhead, the cluster normally moves up, but when they
hit the lid, and there is nowhere to go upwards, the cluster will stay with
the nearest available feed and move slowly with it as it recedes.

Sometimes hitting the lid early and in cold weather can result in a split cluster,
or in a case where there is brood and a weak cluster, sometimes starvation
only inches from food.

(Sorta like the donkey that starved to death halfway between a bale of hay
and a bucket of oats.)