From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:52:06 -0500
Hello All,

>if you listen closely to the Maryann Frazier video, if I recall, she said
>the levels of self
contamination have approached the LD 50 levels.  also we often hear about
synergistic potential of
miticides and other external contaminants.

And if you look at the number of samples tested versus the 2 and a half
million hives in the U.S. (most with a couple boxes of 9-10 frames each)
what very very small segment of the total are we looking at . Not even a
statistic worth discussing.

Maybe the researchers will find the "needle in the hay stack" but saying
they have found the needle does not ring a bell with many.

Those which pour over dated releases (and draw their own conclusions) only
muddy the water further.

The bee hive works as a unit. You take a bee and place by itself in a jar
with everything the bee needs to survive and the bee dies ( personal
experiments).

The commercial beekeeper understands the unit. The living bee hive unit
(which commercial beeks work with daily) is the place to find answers to
problems. Not the dead hives which tell little.

Turning around a hive with problems is the answer commercial beeks seek not
documenting what killed the hive.
Many of us believe researchers for the most part do not understand what the
beekeeping industry needs!

A handful of us are working very hard to take hives dwindling and turn those
hives around and doing so with success many times.

Researchers are coming for the most part and saying.

Bees gone must be CCD.  If their  area is virus then they say the problem is
virus related. If your their  is pesticides then the problem is pesticides.
Then they all chime in and say send money and we will solve the problem in
our air-conditioned labs.

I spent over 12 hours the last two days each day in the bee yards. My eyes
are burning from the sweat ( I wear a sweat band).
I understand with the internet you can read all the published works on the
subject but the material is dated and comes from limited actual contact with
the problem. The recent article in the Elks magazine on CCD speaks of
migratory beekeeping but shows around 7-8 hives on cement blocks.

Although today I run a small operation (with hired help) I advise many of
the the big guys. The few large beekeepers left live in a fast pace world.

example:

A friend with over 10,000 migratory hives can load over 500 hives in forty
five minutes. Using two loaders he can cut the time in half.

Multiply the CCD team by 100 and place in commercial operations with lab
backup and I think the bee industry will get better in a hurry. The present
method is in my opinion doomed to failure.

Bill Wilson spent years trying to solve disappearing disease without
success. The ABC-XYZ book devotes a half  page to the subject..

Rothenbuler came to Bill's rescue and looked into the issue and concluded
that disappearing disease was caused by honey bee genetics. Rothenbuler bee
knowledge is legendary but none of the current team talks of genetics being
an issue.

Many say stop the Australian bees coming in but the guys with the best bees
I have looked at are now running Australian bees and raising queens from the
stock.

The beeks running the Russians are not seeing the problems the rest of the
industry is.

Genetics?

Did Rothenbuler figure out disappearing disease but his revelation fell on
deaf ears? Has the import of Australian & Russian genetics confirmed what
many have said for years we have got a genetic problem in U.S. bees?

Many in Texas might argue even the AHB genetics has helped their stock.

Quote from pg. 203 of the new ABC XYZ :

"The name "disappearing disease" has been used to describe  one such
condition. In all of the cases bees died or disappeared in great numbers,
and beekeepers sought to understand why this took place. it is important to
recognize there are good beekeepers, careless beekeepers, nutritional
deficiencies, toxic pollens and nectars, poor locations, genetic
abnormalities, combinations of diseases and a host of things that can go
wrong in honey bee colonies"

I don't know for sure the person which wrote the above for the book but I
suspect Dr. Shiminuki.

Everyday the public asks:
"have they found the cause of the bees dying yet" ( meaning a single cause
to explain the die-off)

They still ask about the cell phones.

Off to bed now as another busy day tomorrow. Yes I would like to sit home
and barbecue or maybe go fishing but the bees need tending  and the rains
have stopped for hopefully a few days.

bob