From:
"Pehling, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:31:21 -0800
<Our stone fruit and apple trees were hit hard last spring with brown rot... Would prefer to have a decent harvest than <see another wasted year BUT-  Captan is a bit scary..............

According to the publication "How to Reduce Bee Poisoning from Pesticides", http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/PNW0591/pnw591.pdf

Captan CAN apparently cause some brood problems if mis-applied so it must not be applied to blooming crops or weeds (follow label directions, of course).  I doubt milk will give much protection.  Would like to see the data.  MOST fungicides are safe for bees when applied according to label directions.

Our Master Gardeners recommend the materials in WSU Hort Sense, http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/ , but your State may have different materials registered.

==============================

Dave Pehling

WSU Extension Snohomish County

600 128th ST SE

Everett, WA.  98208

phone: 425-338-2400

fax:  425-338-3994

http://snohomish.wsu.edu

http:// gardening.wsu.edu

Extension programs and policies are consistent with federal and state laws and regulations on nondiscrimination regarding race, sex, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin; physical, mental or sensory disability; marital status, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era or disabled veteran. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office.