Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:27:34 AST
The observation hive refered to was built by Cook Inlet Beekeepers Association
at the Anchorage Zoo.  I was not directly involved with either the construction
or maineneance of the exibit.  If you can give me some specific questions I will
try to get answers for you.

I do know that it has not worked out as well as was hoped.  The logic of its
operation, left something to be desired.  There were a couple of two frame
observation hives, one frame behind the other so only one side was visible.
Bees tended to dwindle and were replenished from a couple of nearby hives
(perhaps part of the cause of dwindling was field bees returning to the home
they were familiar with).  The whole operation was by and large designed and
operated by one new beekeeper and one hobbiest with more love for than
understanding of bees.  Actually they did quite well as far as it went.  The
exibit was a great success with zoo visitors.

Fletcher Miller, a more capable and thoughtful beekeeper will be making some
changes which will leave a queen limited to a single side of one frame.  That
side will be the visible exibit.  Behind her will be a full hive with its own
queen.  A two queen colony with one queen limited to one side of one frame.  The
details I do not know.

Fletcher also designed and built a nine frame two-queen observation hive.  It is
set up so each queen has access to one side of all nine frames.  They are
essentially two separate hives.  They have access to flight through a duct
through the roof.  This seems to be doing quite well and is also quite popular.
It is on exibit in the Anchorqage Imaginarium.

Ray, for any more information you would like contact me either through the list
or at the address below.

Tom Elliott
Eagle River, Alaska