From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:18:18 -0400
Why is it that 95% of the media reports of affected beekeepers typically include information that
makes it clear to an experienced beekeeper that the reported bee loss is not CCD? how many of
these uninformed beeks filled out the survery?

Its a self diagnosed problem reported in a survery with selected follow up due to the lack of
resources. Additionally the commercial interest behind the survery has services ready to sell to
solve the alleged problem.

How many readers would beleive a report from a drug company who claims various maladies are a
problem and should be treated with a new drug? One must look carefully at how the information is
collected and how it is being used. Anyone have restless leg syndrome?

We've been over and over this before. There WAS NO BEE SHORTAGE THIS SPRING! The numbers in
the bee loss estimate simply never added up with the real world situation on the ground with
almonds/packages and queens.  I'm not the only beek that feels this way either.

Peter you can beleive what ever you want to believe but I am not taking printed materials on face
value. I like to test the results with real world information and in my opinion its a circus.

We've had larger losses in the past and will continue to in the future.  The amount of attention this
loss received has made it a circus.

THe real story is the unsustainable practices migratory feedlot beekeeping has sunk to and CCD is
IMO a distraction from the core issues that are not being addressed. We've had virus issues
relevant to varroa mites for some time and this so called "new virus" should come as no surprise.

But somehow this one is  supposed to be THE big deal? come on.............. If you read the mass
media on this with the spooky, mysterious disappearance one can get sucked into the idea this is
a major issue. When taken in the perspective its another virus brought on by suppressed immune
system the perspective of the situation is much different.

If the losses from CCD become a flash in the pan in the histroy of US beekeeping and do not
return I rest my case.