From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:54:53 -0400
I collect and sell a great deal of pollen, almost all in 30 pound plastic
bags.  Up until now, I have used a very informal system for determining when
it is dry enough to pack...when it doesn't turn to mush by gently rubbing
between my fingers and thumb.

Drying is a key component to pollen processing.  If pollen is too dry it
tastes terrible, and has a "mouth feel" like sand!  This is because all the
nectar added by the bee when the pollen was collected has been evaporated.
"Fresh" pollen, such as that in the bag beside me when I drive home after
emptying my traps, is as tasty as blueberries or raspberries and I eat it as
quickly.

However, pollen is full of protein and vitamins and if the moisture is much
above 20% it will be attacked by bacteria or fungus, or both.

Does anyone know of a hand-held moisture meter that could be used to take a
reading from pollen?  I know these meters are used for all kinds of grains
and even for wood, but I have no idea what they are called or where to start
looking.

Any help will be appreciated.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com